Thursday 26 November 2015

Nov 27, 2015

We all have bands that we can't stand. Sometimes though that band that we claim to hate releases a song that starts to grow on you and heaven-forbid you actually begin to like it. You can't say that you hate a band and then pick like 3 songs you like by them...because let's face it, that means you kinda like them. That band is brutal...but they have one song that is pretty good. That's this week's theme. Brought to you by the G-Man. Great Songs by an Artist That You Otherwise Can't Stand.

Rob

1a) Angels & Airwaves - "The Adventure"



1b) Hedley - "Villain"




Mr. T

U2 - "Instant Karma"



G-Man

Motley Crue - "Dr. Feelgood"

Fucking hair metal...glam rock...wuss rock whatever you wanna call it, is the bane of my existence. The main problem I have with the genre is the lack of substance. I get that sometimes people want to put on music just to party to. I get it. But when a group makes their living and continues well into their twilight years still singing about chicks and drinkin', and they spend more time on their stage show and make up than their songs, that turns me right off the group. Motley Crue fits that description like a glove. "Dr. Feelgood" is different though, it has a different feel. It's like the dumb jock in class hands in a well written and smartly crafted essay. You wanna hear it again because you wanna make sure you heard it right the first time. The guitars have that extra crunch, the lyrics have a slight tinge of social awareness to them. The song doesn't suck...despite how much the rest of the Crue's music does.


Bonus!!

Kid Rock - "Only God Knows Why"

Kid Rock has always walked a narrow edge for me. For the same reasons as I mentioned above I was put off to most of his music. "Bawitdaba" I sorta liked but it's touch and go. After a few albums of the drunken-redneck-cowboy-gangsta schtick he switched to Country and I thankfully didn't have to be subjected to anymore of his greasy antics. Buried amongst the Southern whiskey rap tracks of his first album is a slow, insightful song called "Only God Knows Why", sure it features an offensive amount of auto-tune, but if he released more music like this, I may have given the Kid another try.


Doug

Will I. Am & Nicki Minaj - "Check It Out"

*note from G-Man: Mr. T's head is about to explode




No comments:

Post a Comment